Hygiene, Safety & Environment
At Refineria Isla our objective is to manage systematically and effectively all plans and programs aimed at the prevention, mitigation and control of risks to the safety and health of the personnel (own and contractors), integrity of the environment, facilities and neighbor community.
Our Hygiene, Safety, Fire Prevention & Environmental Control plans and programs are defined and coordinated, based on integral Risk Analyses and formulation of related Hygiene, Safety & Environmental strategies, Norms & Procedures and control mechanisms, in order to enhance the continuity and integrity of the Isla refinery installations, with continuous improvements of standards and compliance rates; all in accordance with local government regulations, international norms, corporate plans and PDVSA guidelines.
We manage safety as described in our Hygiene, Safety & Environmental master plan through 14 elements: Leadership Commitment, Health Safety and Environmental Information, Risk Analyses, Management of Change, Operational Procedures, Safe work practices, Contractors health – safety and environment, Mechanical integrity, Regulation compliance, Emergency response, Training , Pre startup review, accident investigation, Hygiene, Safety & Environmental plan evaluation.
- Persons entering the refinery to work receive prior allowing to work a safety course in the language of their preference (Papiamentu, English or Spanish) informing them of the safety regulations of the refinery, the general risks associated with working in the refinery and the emergency procedures of the company.
- Ensure compliance of Government Safety ordinance 1958
- Implement Emergency Control plans.
- In case of an event Refineria Isla will activate its master control plan and emergency procedures MACOPEP in order to control, mitigate and eliminate risks for possible adverse events in the field of Hygiene, Safety and Environmental Control. As part of this MACOPEP Refineria Isla has a professional fire brigade and motivated backup and volunteer team fire fighters.
- Preventing and responding to accidents.
- As part Refineria Isla Hygiene, Safety & Environmental master plan all accidents/incidents are investigated in order to take appropriate steps to avoid reoccurrence. The lessons learned are shared with our own personnel and contractors workers. Depending on the nature of the accidents these are presented to Isla Safe Operation Committee (SOC) having the management team as members.
- Conduct field hygiene, safety and environmental inspection in identify and eliminate deviations that if unattended can become incidents or accidents with adverse effects to the workers, environment and installations.